Avian Care Internship, Florida Keys
The Florida Keys Wild Bird Center’s mission is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release native and migratory wild birds that have been harmed or displaced, to provide or locate a humane shelter for those birds that cannot be released, and to educate the public toward the importance of coexistence with all wild bird species.
Interns are invaluable to the Florida Keys Wild Bird Center. The center provides 6-month, paid internships to individuals who are interested and passionate about wildlife rehabilitation and conservation. The unique ecosystem of the Florida Keys creates a great opportunity for interns to gain knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of avian species. From seabirds and shorebirds to raptors and songbirds, interns can expect to work hands-on alongside our certified wildlife rehabilitators at Mission Wild Bird and independently at the Laura Quinn Wild Bird Sanctuary.
About the internship program
Words from your host:
Our Avian Care internship consists of 5-day, 40-hour (sometimes more) work weeks. The schedule is split up so that individuals will be working 2-3 days a week at our Wild Bird Hospital and 2-3 days a week at our Sanctuary. We provide a $200 bi-weekly stipend and shared intern housing located on-site at our Sanctuary.
Hospital Duties include
- Daily cleaning and feeding of Hospital patients.
- Maintaining hospital cleanliness i.e. sweeping, mopping, laundry.
- Administering medication and fluids therapy.
- Helping staff with wound care, blood work, fecals, xrays., etc.
- Participating in bird rescues, intakes and releases.
- Answering bird emergency calls at least two nights a week.
- Keeping detailed and updated reports on sick and injured patients.
- Partaking in after-hour bird emergencies.
Sanctuary Duties include
- Daily husbandry of permanent sanctuary residents i.e. feeding, cleaning, checking enclosures, replacing/cleaning perches.
- Picking up donated fish from local marine centers and sifting fish for quality.
- Helping with regular clean up of facility such as pressure-washing the boardwalk, replacing mulch, and trimming branches.
- Feeding and cleaning of rehabilitation patients in medical cages and flight cages; including occasional weighing of patients, assessing condition, and noting diet changes.
- Researching, organizing, and providing enrichment for residents.
- Helping with any educational events such as occasional sanctuary tours and regular interactions with visitors.
- At least 21 years old.
- 6 month commitment.
- Willing to work 40 hours a week, weekends and holidays with occasional evenings.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and work in hot humid and rainy weather conditions.
- Able to multitask and handle physical and mentally stressful tasks.
- Ability to interact with the public proficiently.
- Have a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and ability to handle multiple personalities.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License and clean driving record.
You might need to book a cheap accommodation on your way to Florida. If you book your stay through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!
You’ll probaly need to book a cheap flight to Florida also. If you book your flight through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!