Farm work exchange in the exotic rainforest of Maui
Hana Farms is a tropical farm and marketplace located in the exotic rainforests of Maui’s northern coast, along the historic Hana Highway.
A large variety of tropical fruits and exotic spices are grown on the farm. Wide assortment of products with locally sourced ingredients, which include hot sauces, candies, preserves, and more are produced there as well. As a road side stop for visitors en route to Hana, the farm is famous for the award-winning banana breads.
About the work exchange program
The farm accepts applications for work trade year-round for a minimum of 4 months.
The work-trade program is 25 hours each week in exchange for lodging, laundry facilities, vegetarian food, internet access and farm learning. The rest of the days are yours to learn, play and explore.
Folks eager to help in the kitchen, on the land and at the farm retail outlet are needed. Construction experience is also a plus for work exchangers since Hana Farm extends its operations to new areas in the future.
The work exchange program focuses on the following activities
- Banana Bread and Dough Making.
- Baking – No prior baking experience is required but preferred.
- Retail shifts – As a retail assistant and representative of Farms you are selling items created on the farm or made in there where the proceeds go right back into the pockets of local farmers and agricultural entrepreneurs.
- Farm Lunch Cook
- Food wagon
- Land Crew – Farm labor involves harvesting, weed management, clearing and planting. You will work mostly with hand tools and do not use large machinery.
- Construction and Special Projects. Folks with construction skills in framing, electrical, plumbing and concrete are neeeded the most. Artists that can produce sign work for the farm and store, and those with specialized skills in areas such as aqualculture and self sustainability projects are also welcome to apply.
Most residents begin residency in a tent platform and this is a vital part of the jungle farm experience. There are cabins and rooms available on a first come basis so over time these do become available, however you may be tenting a while as its hard to project when the next cabin would be available.