Farm work exchange program in Hilo, Hawaii
Kulaniapia is a natural farm located in Hilo, Hawaii. The farm offers CSA boxes, permaculture classes, and rustic cabins, hosted by a passionate community that loves to share. Kulaniapia sits on 22 lush acres of beautiful Hawaiian land where you can hike miles of trails, explore bamboo gardens, and swim, paddleboard, or kayak near the beautiful falls.
About the work exchange & volunteer program
If you want to slow down a bit, connect with nature and other like minded souls, while still putting in a hard days work growing food and taking care of guests, this volunteer program may be just what you are looking for!
The minimum volunteer commitment is 4 months (which includes a one month trial, to make sure it’s a good fit both ways), with many staying up to a year. Members who go above and beyond volunteer expectations have opportunities to earn extra money through additional shifts on hospitality operations, and leading guest experiences.
Volunteers work 25-30 hours a week, split roughly evenly between farming (planting, weeding, harvesting, manual labor) and hospitality / guest service operations (housekeeping, hosting, yard work, leading experiences), in exchange for shared housing and simple vegetarian food (bulk staples + farm produce). Communal meals are common, and often shared with guests.
- 25-30 hours a week of work, split roughly evenly between farming / yard work and hospitality / guest service operations.
- Be welcoming of guests in communal spaces at all times.
- Adhere to the community guidelines, which include living a lifestyle that is mostly vegetarian and mostly drug / alcohol free.
What’s in it for You?
- Live on a natural farm, and become part of a passionate community just a few minutes away from Hilo, Hawaii.
- Shared accomodations, beautiful common areas, and a stunning natural environment to relax and unwind in.
- Simple vegetarian food including staples (think bulk section of natural food store) and produce, eggs, etc. from the farm.
- Develop new skills including farming, guest service, construction, cooking, and more.
- Opportunities for extra income, after exceeding volunteer expectations with excellence.
Please, bear in mind that this program is not an alternative to a job, or a place to live. You might not make any extra money, and you are required to have somewhere to return to, in case things do not work out. Only apply if you are passionate about living in community, farming and hospitality, and are excited about contributing to all of the things it takes to make the farm lifestyle sustainable. This includes hard work like weeding, manual labor, housekeeping, and yard work, and fun stuff like welcoming guests, and leading experiences from cooking classes to adventure tours.
You might need to book a cheap accommodation on your way to Hawaii, USA. If you book your stay through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!
You’ll probaly need to book a cheap flight to Hawaii, USA also. If you book your flight through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!