Farm work exchange program in South Africa
The RED Barn Farm is located only 15 minutes’ drive from Knysna central and is easy to locate being set in the heart of the Rheenendal farmlands. Knysna is a natural paradise of lush, indigenous forests, tranquil lakes and golden beaches. Beaches, lakes, mountains and rivers provide endless opportunity for leisure and outdoor adventure. Within the town, craft shops, flea-markets and cosy cafés beckon with small-town charm and hospitality. The area around Knysna is a veritable Garden of Eden. This is home of the only forest elephant in South Africa, the rare Pansy Shell, the brilliantly coloured, and elusive, Knysna Loerie, a plethora of waterfowl and forest birds, dolphins and visiting whales.
About the work exchange program
Run solely as a Macadamia farm, the RED Barn Farm boast an orchard with 1196 trees of the Beaumont variety. The loft above the barn has been converted into an open plan apartment called The Roost and this unit is on offer to travellers or families that are looking for a “working holiday” experience.
The concept is a fun, work-exchange experience on a macadamia farm. which gives amazing life-skills opportunities to travellers and gap year students, in exchange for their help to harvest the trees and run the farm. It helps grow friendships, teach team work, nurture minds with no direction and simply offer a unique working experience.
What’s in it for You?
- Tented accommodation (ma tress, pillow, sheet and pillowcase provided).
- Breakfast lunch and dinner (Monday to Friday, Weekends are self catered).
- Saturday is adventure day where you’ll be taken out to see the area, swim in the river, head to the beach, hike in the mountains.
- An experience to meet fellow travellers, learn about macadamias, vegetable gardens and to simply enjoy the outdoor life.
- A change of scen ry and people with a learning experience is a great way to find yourself and discover new interests and skills.
- Work Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm.
- Tea time is 30 minutes from 10am.
- Lunch time is 30 minutes from 1pm.
- General assistance with harvesting of nuts, dehusking, sorting, weighing and bagging.
- Additional chores such as gardening, grooming ponies, fixing fences, painting, chopping wood, meal prep, playdough making.
Bring your own sleeping bag, work clothes, swimming costume etc..
Good to know before you apply
- Ideal candidates are between the age of 18 and 30, male or female welcome.
- Families are more than welcome to join, a catering fee will be negotioanetd for those tagging along and not working.
- Work exchangers should arrive Sunday afternoon from 2pm and settle in. You will’bepicked up from Knysna if you plan to come on a bus or shuttle or for
those flying down, an airport pickup is possible at George airport.
- Stay in weekly slots for anything from 1 week to as long as you like.
The farm is on a tar road, just 8.5km from Knysna. It is a safe area and we have a great suppor!ve community. There is a country store across the road where basic supplies and food can be purchased. For those that enjoy cycling and running, there are some beautiful spots around the outskirts of the farm. Knysna has a fantas!c provincial hospital as well as a Life Health private hospital.
Basic shared bathroom facilities with shower and toilet will be available for work exchangers and there is also a washing machine for those that stay longer than a week.
The main harvesting season is in May / June, the winter months are quiet and not ideally suited to camping.
If you are ready to apply for this amazing program, please click on this link to send you online application!
You might need to book a cheap accommodation on your way to South Africa. If you book your stay through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!
You’ll probaly need to book a cheap flight to South Africa also. If you book your flight through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!