Herb farm work exchange program in Canada
Ravenhill is a locally-owned farm that produces medicinal and culinary herbs, organically-grown fruits and vegetables, eggs from heritage hens, and is home to happy goats, incredibly diverse bird life, and a host of pollinators on the Saanich Peninsula of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The island-based farm off of the southwest coast of Canada has a surprisingly Mediterranean-like climate. A herb farm since the early 1980s, Ravenhill provided culinary herbs to numerous restaurants and served as a beacon of community activity.
About the work exchange, voulnteer program
As a result of our mild climate, farm volunteering opportunities exist year-round at Ravenhill Herb Farm. Volunteers get to learn about sustainable land stewardship and whole foods nourishment while enjoying quintessential west coast outdoor activities.
- Willing to work approximately 30-32 hours per week.
- Physically capable to work in the gardens for hours at a time regardless of the weather.
- Be able to work both independently and in small groups as each task requires different ways of working.
- You might be asked to work alone surrounded by stunning nature, but if this doesn’t appeal to you, please don’t apply.
- Be friendly, health-conscious people who are happy keeping their home tidy and clean.
- Enjoy being around children as the owner’s children are often out on the farm and are very interested in meeting new people.
- Be excited to learn how to grow herbs and vegetables, and enjoy being around animals.
What’s in it for you
- Tent* (very large and spacious) – each person will have their own tent unless they come here as a “couple”. Summertime option only.
- Guests in a tent have their own beautiful private bathroom/shower nearby, a cozy foam matress, and all bedding is provided.
- Access to farm kitchen to help yourself! Food for all 3 meals a day and gardens from which to harvest.
- Laundry facilities
- Unlimited long-distance calling anywhere in Canada/US. And if you would like to purchase a phone card you are welcome to use our land-line for international calls.
- All utilities are included (hydro, gas, water, etc.)
- One bicycle for shared use
- Swimming pool (in the summer only)
- Pond to swim in
- Hundreds of books for you to enjoy!
- If you are travelling here by ferry, your host will provide you with very specific bus directions and will pick-up you up from the nearby bus-stop. If you are travelling here or away by plane (Victoria International Airport) the taxi is only about a 15-minute drive from here and fairly affordable.
You will have 2 days off each week and they may or may not be on weekends.
You might need to book a cheap accommodation on your way to Canada. If you book your stay through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!
You’ll probaly need to book a cheap flight to Canada also. If you book your flight through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!