Greek Shepherd dog breeding and redistribution center needs volunteers in Greece
ARCTUROS is a civil, non-governmental and non-profit environmental organization founded in 1992 and aims to protect wildlife and the natural environment in Greece. From the first years of its operation, ARCTUROS focused on conservation efforts for big carnivores in Greece (Bears, wolves), later on the center has opened its gates to shelter Greek Sheepdogs as well.
About the program
The aim of the Center is the harmonious human-wildlife co-existence in rural areas and also the preservation of the Greek sheepdog breed which was near to extinction. The breeding program is implemented in modern facilities in Agrapidia village in Florina region, which includes 10-12 breeding areas and a common exercise area. ARCTUROS breeds the Greek sheepdogs since 1998 and distributes them to farmers, whose flocks graze in habitats of large carnivores.
The volunteers will participate in activities such as:
- Feeding and daily care for the 15 dogs of the Center
- Cleaning the premises, equipment, dogs grooming
- Dogs training and daily walks/exercise with the dogs
- Visits to veterinarians (where necessary)
- Care of the Greek sheepdog puppies
Other upkeep duties
- Assist in wolves feeding (twice a week) and cleaning Wolf Sanctuary from bones- food leftovers once a month (Wolf
Sanctuary is next to Greek dog Breeding and Distributing Center)
- Cleaning the surrounding area (from rubbish) of the center and also the local river once a month
- Harvest fruits from the trees from the surrounding area, once a week (the period end of spring-beginning of summer)
- Visit a shepherd (if needed) and check the dog livings conditions on the farmers that have taken a puppy from
ARCTUROS (on-site check control)
- Watering the trees of the center (every day)
Thanks to the help of dozens of volunteers, ARCTUROS performs actions for the protection and management of wildlife and the natural environment. Also ARCTUROS coordinate volunteer exchange programs, in cooperation with the General Secretariat and the European Voluntary Service EVS.
Room and board
- Your accommodation is in Aetos, Florina, in a house built in accordance with the regional traditional architecture. The house has two rooms, a kitchen and a fireplace and can accommodate up to 10 people.
- Training is provided by staff of the Environmental Centre on issues related to the bear, the wolf and the mountain regions.
The minimum time that one can participate as a volunteer is 15 days.
You might need to book a cheap accommodation on your way to Greece. If you book your stay through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!
You’ll probaly need to book a cheap flight to Greece also. If you book your flight through our website, you support hopperjobs.com to list more great and free job opportunities worldwide. Click here for booking!